- Line management responsibilities to the General Terminal Supervisors and Operators ensuring ships are loaded, unloaded and correctly stowed in conjunction with load plans.
- Ensure all Sponsored Reserve (Stevedore and Port Enabling) capabilities are maintained at all times.
- Manage the Sponsored Reserve training and deployment forecast ensuring competencies are maintained and current.
- Attend career events to represent and promote SGL in relation to Sponsored Reserve recruitment.
- Engage with both 17 and 165 Port and Maritime Regiments and act as the single point of contact for all MoD interaction regarding Sponsored Reserves recruitment and retention.
- Deputise for the Port Manager as required.
- Provide an on-call cover service as required.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety regulations both internal and external.
- Manage all on site assets effectively and the running thereof.
- Effective labour allocation and management.
- Provide returns to relevant stakeholders to ensure payments are received, KPI's reached and documented and compliance to the concession agreement.
- Maintain safe marine operations in accordance with the Port Marine Safety Code Requirements.
- Manage safe access and egress to jetty and vessels.
- Carry out site safety and operational audits and inspections to ensure personnel behaviours are correct and compliant with requirements.
- Ensure a high quality, safe, efficient and cost effective service to all Port Users is maintained.
- Proactive and timely approach to day to day enquiries from agents, Masters and stakeholders.
- Collaborating with Port Officers and liaison with external agencies.
- Develop, review & improve procedures associated with the port operations.
- Take responsibility for the delivery of activities and/or projects required to satisfy Port Operations.
- Provide the emergency and oil spill response as outlined in Southampton and SGL Port emergency procedures.
- Ensure mooring operations are undertaken safely and timely and safe vessel access is maintained at all times.
- Issue permits and passes in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Report all security concerns/ suspicious behaviour.
- Provide the highest levels of customer service at all times.
- Contribute as a team member to ensure the port is a safe working environment for all stakeholders.
- Complete all relevant documentation as required and to the correct standard within any specified timeframe.
- Comply with all relevant legislation, regulations, policies and procedures (internal and external).
- Successfully complete any identified training course deemed necessary for the role.
- Ensure compliance with procedures at all times.
- Actively promote and develop continuous improvements at managerial level.
- Complete any other tasks commensurate to the role.
Experience and knowledge of Port Operations/Maritime environment - port and maritime regulations, port operations in a commercial environment, health and safety legislation
Line manager experience and skills
Able to pass UK Government Security Clearance & willing to sign the Official Secrets Act
Aptitude to learn new skills and have a flexible outlook
Experience and knowledge of MoD/military operations including Army Reserves
Knowledge/skills in using Microsoft Office e.g. Word, Excel etc
Holiday - 20 days per year plus 8 bank holidays. Accrue additional 5 days during a period of 10 full years of employment.
Enhanced sick pay, after completion of probationary period
On site cafe